Oct 24, 2011

SHOPPERS - SILVER YEAR

I never really got how someone who likes rock and roll can dislike girls in rock and roll. I mean, I always thought of rock and roll as the ultimate medium of expression for people who are pissed off about bullshit, and who trudges through more bullshit than a lady? Bratz dolls, Barbie dolls, tanning guns, super-model Tyra Banks hosting a show that's supposed to be "empowering" but is in fact a super-model on television telling you how to wear make-up, constant fashion change-ups encouraging you to buy more clothes, Sex and the fucking City. Jesus, man. Have you ever seen Sex and the City? Here's the way the dialogue works on that show:

Girl 1: I make a statement.
Girl 2: I comment on the statement in a way that all too perfectly typifies my character
Girl 3: I comment on the statement in a way that all too perfectly typifies my character
Girl 4: I comment on the statement in a way that all too perfectly typifies my character

(Repeat ad nauseum until one of them wants to get married/pregnant)

So every time I hear about a new band with any sort of female inclusion, I get pumped, simply for the fact that they have so much more to work with than some dude does ("I have anxiety" "Why doesn't this girl like me" "All my problems are self-inflicted"). And shit, man. Shoppers delivers. The guitars provide a steel wool blanket of noise and the vocals are high pitched pissed off. The lyrics can teeter on some Xiu Xiu shit, but the music is much more approachable, you can play this at a party and not scare away a bunch of your friends.

The dudes over at the record label website describe this band as "queer noise punk," but I can assure you that you don't need to be queer to like this band. I've had the record on at work all day and I cannot get enough. Link goes to aforementioned record label's site, where you can download the album for free.

DL

1 comment:

rain said...

great blog. thanks for diggin this up.